Dr. Prabhakar B. Kore
K.L.E. Academy of Higher Education & Research, Belagavi
KLE Technological University, Hubballi
Member of Parliament
K. L. E. Society, Belagavi
The first Chancellor of the K.L.E. Academy of Higher Education & Research, Belagavi Dr. Prabhakar B. Kore, who has been the chairman of KLES for the past 30 years , has a very versatile personality and his diverse interests have seen him taking up varied roles in the fields of politics, education, agriculture, co-operative endeavor and community building. Today under his able leadership KLE Society has 246 Institutions, in which 16000 dedicated & motivated faculty is serving and over 1,10,262 students have enrolled for various courses ranging from Kindergarten to Post-doctoral courses, in traditional, technical & medical educational institutions.The establishment of an 820 bedded, free (charitable) teaching hospital in addition to the 1000 bedded state of the art super specialty hospital has been the mirror to reflect his great virtues of making KLE Society to be socially accountable and responsible. There can not be any other better way of responding and honoring this great personality, other than naming the KLE Hospital as KLE Dr. Prabhakar Kore Hospital and Medical Research Centre. Apart from having nearly 2000 beds under one roof, (one of the biggest hospital in the country), the hospital has various satellite centers at the neighboring cities viz: Gokak, Jamkhandi, Gadhinglaj, Hubli and Ankola, which are linked to the parent hospital through the telemedicine, thereby facilitating and providing optimal patient care to the community located elsewhere in the periphery. A multi-faceted personality, his diverse interests have seen him take up varied roles.
A multi-faceted personality with diverse interests and commitments in the domains of Education, Agriculture, Healthcare, the Cooperative Sector, Politics and Community Building Activities making a mark on the State, National & International scenario through relentless effort, commitment and contributions to “Transforming Lives through Education & Healthcare”.
- April 1990 Elected to Rajya Sabha (1990-96)
- Member, Committee on Railways
- Member, Consultative Committee for the Ministry of Defence
- Member, Committee on Subordinate Legislation
- 2001 – 2007 Member, Karnataka Legislative Council
- June 2008 Elected to Rajya Sabha (2008-2014)
- Aug. 2010 onwards Member, Committee on Health and Family Welfare
- Member, Consultative Committee for the Ministry of Human Resource Development
- May 2011 onwards Member, Sub-committee-II to examine the functioning of CGHS of the Committee on Health and Family Welfare
- Official Member of the Delegation of the State visit of Shri Pranab Mukherjee, Hon’ble President of India, to Belgium and Turkey from 2nd to 8th October, 2013
- Worked on Parliamentary Committees on Education, Railways, Hindi Prasara, Planning, Agriculture and other welfare related aspects
- June 2014 Elected to Rajya Sabha
- Member of Parliamentary Committees on Skill Development & Entrepreneurship, Transport, Tourism & Culture, Food Consumer Affairs and Public Distribution
- Member of Indian Parliamentarian Study visit to Indonesia
- Member of the delegation accompanying Hon’ble Vice-President, Dr. Hamid Ansari on a visit to Hungary and Algeria
- Responsible for the successful conduct of Karnataka Assembly Session, twice at Belagavi. First in September 2006 & for the second Time in January 2009
- Worked as Chairman of the Reception Committee for the mega event “Vishwa Kannada Sammelana” held at Belagavi, March, 2011 which was inaugurated by Noted Film Star Aishwarya Rai, Industrial Tycoon Shri Narayan Murthy, Infosys, Hon’ble Chief Minister of Karnataka –Shri B.S. Yadiyurappa and attended by host of dignitaries from all walks of life and Kannadigas from across the world.
- Worked as President, Reception Committee, All India Veerashaiva Mahasabha’s 21st Convention held at Belagavi, inaugurated by His Excellency, Shri Shankar Dayal Sharma, then Vice-President, India.
- Worked as Chairman, Reception Committee, 70th Kannada Sahitya Sammelana held at Belagavi, Karnataka in March 2003
- Worked as Chairman, 5th Akhil Bharat Sharana Sahitya Parishat, Belagavi, 2003
- Instrumental in the construction of the grand monument, “Karnataka Suvarna Soudha”, Belagavi, wherein the Winter Session of the Karnataka Legislature is conducted every year
- Spearheaded the Co-operative Movement in the Border Region of Karnataka and Maharashtra with the running of Doodha Ganga Krishna Co-operative Sugar Factory, Chikodi, Karnataka, which has emerged as a Model Sugar Factory and has contributed immensely to the well-being of the farmers in the region.
- Worked as Director, All India Co-operative Sugar Factories Ltd., New Delhi
- Established several co-operative banks and won the unshakable faith of both borrowers and depositors
- Instrumental in the establishment of Belagavi District Rani Channamma Mahila Co-operative Bank Ltd., Belagavi, Karnataka.
- As an entrepreneur – has set up Shivashakti Sugars Ltd. at Saundatti in Raibag Taluka of Belagavi District in Karnataka, using the most modern technology
- Director, VRL Logistics, Hubballi – one of the leading Companies in Transportation & Travel.
- Founder Director, Rajkumar Forge Ltd., Pune.
- Honorary Doctorate conferred by the Karnatak University, Dharwad on 13.02.2008 for outstanding contribution in the field of education
- Recipient of Karnataka Government ‘Suvarna Karnataka Rajyotsav Award – 2006’ for outstanding contribution in the field of education
- Recipient of the Life Time Achievement Award for Education, Service and Commitment to Society awarded for the very first time by Veershaiva Samaj of North America in New York
- Recipient of the ‘Outstanding Educationist’ of the year 2004 by ‘Giants International Group’ awarded by Film Personality Sri Amitabh Bachchan.
- Honoured on 21st December, 2007 by the Kannada Sangh Bahrain as “Kannada Vaibhav 2007”
- Honoured as “Eminent Educationist” by Karnatak Sangh Qatar, Dec, 2009
- Felicitated at Long Island, New York by “Nargis Dutt Foundation” of North America for work in the field of Education and Health Care
- “Life Time Achievement Award”, honour by “TiE – The Indus Entrepreneurs” – a Body of successful entrepreneurs, corporate executives and senior professionals of Silicon Valley, USA on 29.01.2013 at Hubballi. Award was conferred by Shri Ratan Tata in the presence of Mr. Naryan Murthy of Infosys, chairperson of Global Research Alliance Dr. Raghunath Mashelkar, and President of Deshpande foundation Dr. Gururaj Deshpande
- Honorary Doctorate conferred by the Rani Channamma University, Belagavi on 16.02.2013 for outstanding contributions to Education and Health Care
- Honoured by Ms. Kathleen Sebelius, Secretary Health, USA for outstanding contribution in the field of medical education & research.
- Conferred the Life Time Achievement Award at the Sugar Convention held on 13th Oct., 2014 by ‘Bharatiya Sugar’ – a Bi-Monthly Journal devoted to Indian Sugar Industry, Pune.
- Honorary Doctorate in Education conferred by the Universiti Sains Malaysia on 17.11.2015 in recognition of his excellent and outstanding services and contributions.
- Conferred the prestigious “Life Time Achievement Award” on 28.07.2016 by The Sugar Technologists Association of India (STAI), an apex body of sugar professionals, recognized by the Govt. of India. This award is in recognition of the invaluable contributions in the development of the Sugar Industry in India.
- Awarded ‘Sirigannada Gourav-2016’ by Belagavi Zilla Sahitya Pratishthan, Belagavi for outstanding services in the field of Education & Social service on 15.01.2017.
- Awarded “Sri Mrityunjaya Mahant Prashasti 2017’ for the outstanding services in Education, Social and Medical field on 28.1.2017.
- Awarded “Vishwachetan” Award at Yadur on 27-01-2017 by Shri Shri Shri 1008 Dr. Channasiddhrama Panditaradya Shivacharya Mahswamiji Shrishail, Yadur.
- Chairman, K.L.E. Society, Belagavi since 1984 & instrumental in the growth of KLE from a group of 38 institutions in 1984 into an organization of global repute with 254 institutions having 1,25,000 students along with noteworthy contributions in the field of healthcare, research and community radio.
- Responsible for the conferment of the status of KLE University upon Jawaharlal Nehru Medical College and Institutes of Health Sciences of KLE in 2006
- Facilitated the establishment of Krishi Vigyan Kendra at Mattikopp near Belagavi in order to facilitate education, research and training of farmers to aid the modernization of agriculture in the region
- Provided impetus to Research in Medicine, Pharmacy, Biotechnology & other domains by establishing a state-of-the-art Research centre at KLE University Campus
- Established 2 Community Radio Stations, one each at Hubballi and Belagavi
- Responsible for conferment of KLE Technological University status to B.V. Bhoomaraddi College of Engineering & Technology, Hubballi in 2015
Ushered in an era of International Collaborations, especially in Health Science, Healthcare & Medical Research by facilitating projects and partnerships with
- University of Illinois, Chicago – USA, University of Michigan – USA
- University of Missouri – USA, Sunderland University, UK
- Universiti Sains Malaysia – USM – Malaysia,
- Copperbelt University at Republic of Zambia
- Rhodes University, South Africa, Middlesex University, UK
- University of Birmingham, Alabama – USA
- Christina Care Health Services, Delaware – USA
- Vanderbilt University, Nashville – USA
- University of Colorado, Denver – USA
- John Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health – USA
- Harvard School of Public Health, Boston – USA
- University of California at San Francisco – USA
- Instrumental in revolutionizing healthcare in the region of North Karnataka and beyond by establishing a state-of-the-art 2400 bed Hospital & Medical Research Centre which has evolved into a facility catering to the needs of about 70,000 inpatients and 9 Lakhs outpatients, annually
- Established a 1200 bed Free Charitable Block at the hospital for community welfare
- Architect of global partnerships in research, especially the establishment of JNMC Research Unit, a part of the global network initiative of the National Institute of Health, USA, which is contributing to path breaking research in Maternal and New Born Health Care. The Health Care and Health Sciences institutions of KLE have research and collaborative associations with renowned international organizations like WHO, Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, etc.
- Facilitated extension of healthcare to rural areas by setting up Satellite Health Centres at – Hubballi, Gokak, Bailhongal, Nipani and Intensive Care Units (ICUs) at Hubballi, Gokak and Chikodi
- Facilitated the establishment of a model Hospital and Research centre at Ankola – North Canara District.
- Architect of the KLE’s Ayurveda Hospital in an attempt to promote traditional medicine
- Envisioned and initiated the establishment of an ultra-modern Cancer Hospital at Belagavi and a Medical College & Hospital at Hubballi.
- Built 500 bedded modern KLE Centenary Charitable Hospital for teaching of students of USM-KLE International Medical Programme at southern part of Belagavi.
Facilitated a cumulative establishment of dedicated Heath Care capacity of over 4000 beds.
Post: Ankali – 591213,
Address for Correnspondence
Residence: “CASA AJMER”, B.C. 92, Church Road,
CAMP, Belagavi – 590 009.
Mobile: +9198453-54747, +919868181747
Telephone: 0091-831-2465577, 2405747
K.L.E.Society, Belagavi- 590 001
Telephone: 0091-831-2404040 (8 Lines)