Late Shri B M Kankanawadi during his service in Police Department had to go through an unfortunate episode of ill health of his wife. She had been consulted to a lot of Physicians for her survival and all gigantic efforts were futile. Amidst that, a Vaidya was consulted as a hope of Life, who examined the pulse and predicted that Mrs Kankanawadi would die on a particular day and time. Mr. Kankanawadi lost his wife as predicted by Vaidya on the aforesaid day. Though Shri. Kankanawadi was devastated by her death, he was able to see this science of life as exquisite knowledge to the society.
Untimely death of Mrs Kankanawadi was inconceivable and turned to be a beacon for then Karnataka Ayurveda Vidyapeeth Society’s Ayurveda College, Hospital and Pharmacy which is currently known as KLEU’s Shri B M K Ayurveda Mahavidyalaya, PG studies and Research Centre. This inspiration and vision of Shri. Kankanawadi was a silver lining for Ayurveda which was on the trail of extinction. His robust determination made to establish Karnataka Ayurveda Vidyapeeth with the objective of revitalizing the science of Ayurveda, its utilization by society, awareness of health importance and entrepreneurship in Ayurveda for youths.
History & Milestones
Admired by the way when his wife was diagnosed and treated by an Ayurved physician, when all other medical systems failed, late Sri Basappanna Mallappanna Kankanawadi a retired police officer and a great philanthropist, in 1933 established this institute by donating all his retirement earnings of rs.50,000/- with the intention and vision ‘to revive propagate and develop AYURVEDA’ the Indigenous mother medical system of world.
- 1933 – Karnataka Ayurved Vidyapeet Society Established Shri B M Kankanawadi Ayurved Mahavidyalaya at Lingaraj college campus.
- 1938 – College & Hospital Shifted to Its own building at Khasbhag Belgaum.
- 1964 – College Shifted to Shahapur (existing building, Inaugurated by the then – Chief minister of Karnataka Late Sri S. NIJALINGAPPA).
- 1990 – The Institute was taken over by KLE Society Belgaum.
- 2005 – Hospital Shifted to New Building in College campus Shahapur Belgaum.
- 2008 – Construction of Library & PG block.
- To Develop service mindedness
- Creating a sense of pride to the profession that he/she is wedded to
- To propagate and profess Ayurveda as the best system of medicine globally
- To create awareness that Ayurveda is the hassle free system of health care
- To encourage innovation and promote research activities
- To adopt and experiment a new mode that brings in revolutionary change in Ayurveda
- To find a cure for the incurable in the tradition of Ayurveda
To explore the magical formulate of folklore medicine.
Eligibility for B.A.M.S. Course
- 50% and above aggregate marks in P.C.B in 10+2.
- Pass in English.
MD / MD Ayurveda Courses
Eligibility MD/ MS Course
- 50% and above in B.A.M.S from a recognised University