The details of the performance of the institution in one area distinctive to its vision, priority and thrust in not more than 500 words
KLE Society, the parent society of University was established in November 1916, is a public charitable trust registered under Bombay Trust Act 1860. It was started by seven dedicated Teachers and three founder patrons. The sole aim of KLE Society was to impart education to the socially and educationally backward region of North Karnataka and with the ideology of truth, love, service and self-sacrifice. Today, KLE Society is an organization with 254 institutions in various parts of the country of global repute, imparting education from Kindergarten to Postdoctoral courses in almost all areas with a faculty strength of 16,000 teachers educating 1,25,000 students from all over the world for its philanthropy and charity. The society has empowered local community and has been providing excellent health care facilities. The KLE Academy of Higher Education and Research was established in 13th April, 2006. The vision of the University has been: “To be a university of excellence, ever in pursuit of newer horizons to build confident, knowledgeable, selfreliant global health care providers with global competencies through assured quality value based education, ethical patient care and research”. Since its inception the Institution is striving to meet its Vision through various road maps, stringent discipline, adoption of newer technology both in teaching and health care. The Medical, Dental and Ayurveda hospitals delivers affordable, ethical healthcare to the needy and under privileged, to fulfil the societal obligation. The teaching hospital has been instrumental in revolutionizing healthcare in the region of North Karnataka and beyond by establishing a state of the art 2400 bed Hospital Medical Research Centre which has evolved into a quaternary care hospital catering to the needs of about 70,000 inpatients and 9 Lakhs outpatients, annually. Through Institute of Physiotherapy has rehabilitation canter for artificial limbs, artificial prosthesis. The health care has also been able reach the community by adoption of three primary health centres and three urban health centres to provide health services to the community. Hospital implements many Government funded projects. The University is well reputed in its research output with sizable number of publications in reputed journals and patent in many health care products. It has rich and vast scope for Community/ Epidemiological studies. It has well managed MNH (Maternal and New Born Health) Registry for North Karnataka Population. The Scope of research and collaboration in Traditional Medicine and Integrated Medicine is plenty which can be well shared with any international Universities. Central Research Facility of KLE Ayurveda College has been recognized as approved ASU (Ayurveda, Siddha, Unani) Drug Testing Laboratory by Department of AYUSH, Government of India. One of the best practices of the University has been “To take the advances in health care to the unreachable.” The concepts like PPH, First Breath Study, Emergency obstetric and new born care (EMNOC), Maternal Newborn Health registry (MNH). Antenatal Corticosteroid Trial, Helping Babies Breathe, Preconceptional nutrition (women first) through research unit have made remarkable impact on the community health and has policy decisions at National and International level to its credit.
Procedures and policies for maintaining and utilizing physical, academic and support facilities – laboratory, library, sports complex, computers, classrooms etc. (maximum 500 words) (information to be available in institutional Website, provide link)
The University has excellent physical facilities for academics and non-academics
- The availability of excellent ICT enabled infrastructure has facilitated blended learning, that incorporates face to face classroom methods, combined with computer mediated activities
- A reputed library is housed in the campus that has been providing electronic sources delivery and network information. The University is a part of HELINET consortium and INFLIBNET DELNET for resource sharing in which all the library operations are computerized by using EASYLIB 4.3.2/4.3.6 software with SQL server, thereby providing ICT enabled learning resources to the staff and students like, BMJ Best Practices and Case Reports and EZ PROXY software.The WiFi facility and internet access have been provided to facilitate the faculty and students as a part of ICT based learning.
- All the digital library computers are centralized and managed with WINDOWS 2008 Active Directory and Group Policy Security System based HP server, 106 Client Computers, 2 VMware Virtual DNS DHCP Servers, networked with 1 GB LAN and Central Managed Antivirus System.
- Spacious indoor stadium, Table Tennis, Shuttle Badminton, Carom Board, Chess, multi stage gymnasium and outdoor swimming pool are provided for sports and games.
- The institution provides infrastructure facilities like staff quarters, baby crèche, and transportation facility for children, fitness facilities, food courts, nationalized bank and post office, etc. within the campus.
- The KLE Dr. Prabhakar Kore Basic Science Health Research Center carries out various types of research including cell culture with facility of computers and internet for Scientists, research scholars, postdoctoral fellows, research associates, summer fellows of various academies. scientists of national and international repute are involved in research.
- The University also has state-of-art Clinical Skill Laboratory, OSCE / OSPE laboratory.
- University also has three incubation centers.
- Enriched academic ambience is provided.725 full time faculty, student mentorship programme, awards for outstanding achievement, scholarships, library facilities, training in research and encouraging participation in scientific meets.
Various student support systems are in place like Gender equality, 24×7 help line for girl students, additional training for slow and advanced learners, anti ragging committee zero tolerance for ragging. Campus is friendly for physically disabled too.